Monday, February 15, 2021

Sunshine Patriots

 This is on my FB page.

In my last missive I stated that my last missive was to be my last missive on this platform. As you can plainly read That above statement was not true, though at the time it was. So what changed my mind?


A long dead patriot from the American revolution.


Long ago, in the dark ages, our imperfect ancestors, decided that they had had enough of British tyranny and they decided to form a new nation. (This is Uncle Iggy's condensed version of American histoy) In the beginning, while things were looking good, and the days were warm and friendly, many a man rallied to the cause to drive the British away. And ,in the beginning, they were successful. Then the reality of it all set in. Time and again the British drove the colonists off the field of battle and men began to desert or not reenlist when their time was done. Disease, hunger and cold all took a toll on those men and many believed that the glorious cause would never come to be. It was during these dark days that a patriot wrote these famous words:


THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”
Thomas Paine, The Crisis


It is easy to write and speak up when the tide is in your favor. When the powers that be agree with what you say, but it takes dedication, determination and courage when the tide is against you. The tide is definitely against us and I refuse to retreat.


Simply put, until I am booted off by our communistic overlords, I am going to keep writing and posting what I believe to be true. They can force me out if they choose, though I don't have a large audience, but I would rather go down fighting for all our liberties,especially free speech, than give them the satisfaction of thinking they silenced another patriot.

No comments:

Post a Comment